Ventings from a guy with an unhealthy interest in budgets, policy, the dismal science, life in the Upper Midwest, and brilliant beverages.
Friday, July 31, 2026
A few primary thoughts from Up North
Made my annual trip to Vilas County on Wednesday to hang with family through Saturday. Good to check in with everyone and catch up.
Unlike Madison, its been stormy here, with the power knocked out twice this week. Not really something they're used to in these parts, but might be something that needs adjusting to in the 2020s.
I was looking for any indications on the primary election that's already having early voting for our state. Couldn't find much, including almost no yard signs or radio ads for any candidate from Wausau northward, despite it being in the 7th Congressional district, which has a multi-candidate GOP primary for Tom Tiffany's seat, in addition to the Dem primary for Governor.
Sure seems like a candidate could get a bit of boost in these parts with a few signs or billboards that give the impression to others on the road that they're someone with support and worth checking out. Since I've been away, did anything happen with the Governor's race in the last 2 days?
Silly goose, of course I know that Mandela Barnes pulled the plug right before a story was going to come out about him creeping on young Dem staffers. What an absolute dud of a campaign for that guy - spent the most money, had by far the highest name recognition, and Dem voters overwhelmingly turned him down and how he lacked the juice.
And now we find out Mandela had this time bomb of bad behavior towards women looming? Just underscores how this guy was up his own backside, and never learned the lessons of blowing that 2022 race vs Ron Johnson.
If there's a lesson to be learned from this bizarre primary, maybe the biggest is that high-priced Dem consultants are no substitute for getting in front of voters (both online and in person), and maybe that idea of "yard signs don't vote/professional organizations win campaigns" is also outdated in a time of an attention economy where voters don't trust the pros that have lost races for Dems too many times.
Weird and wild stuff. I'll have more to break down in both economy and the last week of this race when I get back to the big city.

I’m glad Barnes is out. He was a lousy candidate and he shouldn’t have run in the first place. But sorry, I’m not jumping on the “he was a disgusting creeper” bandwagon. He has never been accused of any crime. He didn’t rape or harass anyone. He was a single adult male having consensual relationships with single adult females. He never claimed to be celibate.
ReplyDeleteMore than likely, people in the party finally convinced him that dropping out was the last hope for voters to coalesce around a non-socialist candidate. It probably won’t work, but what the hell. My wish would be Roys over Crowley, but I doubt it. I’m resigning myself to Hong.
Minnesconsin Tom