Friday, September 7, 2018

Another orbit around the sun...It better be a good one

I'd like to say I'd have a profound statement today, 60 days before a midterm that likely decides if this state and this country are finished as a functioning democracy and economy. But it's more a shrug and belief that the good guys eventually win out, and that our government and policies eventually catch up to the beliefs of the silenced, progressive majority that I think exists in this country. When a corporate behemoth like Nike makes Colin Kaepernick their public face on the eve of NFL season and Barack Obama comes out in favor of Medicare for all, you know the ground is shifting.

People know the way things SHOULD work in the US, and they know the rampant inequality of our economy and inequality of influence of a few greedy oligarchs over our politics isn't it, and it's not something that can continue for much longer. I just hope it works for the best in 60 days, and we come out the other side looking back at a pathetic remnant of a blip of time when stupid, resentful trash snuck their way into power, and just as quickly got crushed by a state and country that rediscovered decency and what made life worth living. Because the other option involves a Banana Republic(an)-type existence that involves a lot of pain, injury, repression, and retribution that isn't going to help anyone except for a well-connected few.

The next time we reach this place in the sun's orbit, I hope to be in a spot where I worry more about what the Brewers and Packers are doing, and talking about ways that we can and are cleaning up the messes left behind in Madison and in DC. I miss that optimism, I miss living in a state whose leaders cared for its people, and whose people cared for each other.

I have no illusions we will be close to all the way back to a great place by this time next year, and I think it's 50-50 at best that we won't be in recession as the earnings bubble pops and people end up paying big bills in Spring due to the GOP Tax Scam. But starting the process of payback and justice being given to those who have damaged these places, and having all branches of government act like we're in a tolerant, diverse, and intelligent 21st Century with an emphasis on dealing with reality over photo ops? Yeah, we'd better have that.

Now it's time to get downtown to have some good food, good people, good brews, and good fun. I close by encouraging you to listen to the words of a Midwesterner with a 9/7 birthday that's accomplished more than I'll ever dream of, and has kicked more ass than I ever will.


My goal for this time next year is to have 1% of the respect and power of voice in Wisconsin as this guy has.


No comments:

Post a Comment